Sunday, October 2, 2011

ES11 - Pokomoke MD to Virginia Beach VA

Miles: 78.7

This will be a pretty short blog with no pictures because I never stopped to take any. We left the hotel with rain falling, a headwind, and 48 degrees. One wonders why one would go out on a bike in weather like this. Because that was how to get to Virginia Beach. Of course I could have chosen not to ride. But I committed to myself and my coach that I would start every day. I was soaked all the way through pretty quickly. It finally stopped raining after an hour but the wind never stopped.
We rode through farming areas, woods, and small towns all day today. The beauty of the area was kind of lost because of the weather. The crosswinds and headwinds and another rainstorm pretty much beat up my body. I was glad when the ride ended.

At the end of our ride we were loaded into the vans for a ride across Chesapeake Bay. It is a 7 mile stretch that involves bridges over the water and two sections of tunnel under the water.

We were loaded on the vans in the order we arrived. I would have been waiting for over an hour for the van. A full load was leaving. But wonderful Hank (the oldest rider of the group) got out and insisted I take his seat. That was very kind of him. I cleaned his bike because it was on the van I came in on. But that was hardly a payment for the opportunity to get warm, dry, and clean two hours earlier.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment