Friday, June 6, 2014

Challenges of Missouri Hills

Since I last wrote we have moved on from Kansas to Missouri. Leaving Kansas proved to be an adventure for half of the riders and a boring morning for the other half. The riders who normally leave at 7:00 just pulled away when the skies darkened and it started raining. After the rain got worse Robin and I got in the van and took off to keep track of them in order to get them off the road if the weather got worse. Of course by the time we found them, they were into the adventure of riding and didn't want to quit. They did take shelter a couple of times. The worst part was the winds at the trailing edge of the storm. They didn't last long but were nasty. The riders who were to leave at 7:30 were held at the hotel until 11:00 and didn't even get wet.

Today I drove the truck the first 30 miles to Maysville. The DeKalb Historical society once again hosted us with homemade cinnamon rolls and peanut butter sandwiches. They are such sweet people and were delightful to talk with. One of the ladies asked me if I was riding a special bike. I think she was wondering if I had a tricycle bike. A 92 year old gentleman warned me about the steep hill a mile out of town. I pedaled from Maysville to Chilocothe (56 miles) and found more than one steep hill. In fact there was a whole string of them.

There has been a lot of rain here and you can see that the rivers are quite full. But it sure makes the countryside nice and green.

Oh yes, our room does get a bit messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment