Sunday, June 8, 2014

Chilocothe to Kirksville to Quincy

I have no pictures of the ride to Kirksville. For those of you who have ridden that ride you know it is one rough riding day. It is the day of the 148 rolling Missouri hills. Now add to that a downpour all day and headwinds and you begin to get the picture. Most of the riders hung in there and did the entire ride. My hat goes off to them. It was really tough. I strategically chose not to ride. You see I can do that with a clear conscience this year. I drove the SAG van and set up the SAG in the pouring rain. I tried keeping their sandwiches dry as they ate them. But I wasn't very successful and got soaked through myself.

Today going to Quincy was a very nice riding day. I was back to truck driving and riding. Put 44 miles on the bike. The weather was cool and cloudy. We crossed the mighty Mississippi which was very full of muddy brown water. It is hard to believe we have come 2000 miles and crossed 7 state lines. Soon the epic journey will be over. Many, if not all, of the riders are feeling fatigued. And the staff is feeling it also. As in other years the rest day in Champaign will really be a welcome respite.

2 comments:

  1. I well remember that bridge, getting into Quincy. It was narrow and the traffic was unforgiving. Keep pedaling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, you continue to amaze me with your zest for life! Be safe on the road!!!

    ReplyDelete