Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 3 - Thunderstorms, Wind, Enchanted Mtn






I woke up this morning at 6 am listening to the rain and thunder. The weather forecast showed storm cells moving through all day along with high winds. So the decision was made that there would be no group ride and anyone who felt like it could go out on their own. By nine it was starting to look better as far as the rain. However, if you look at the picture of Barbie looking at the flag, there was a mighty wind blowing. So I decided to just tootle around town, staying close enough to get to shelter quickly if a storm came. It was actually kind of fun and very low key.

In the afternoon Barbie and I drove to Enchanted Rock State Park and climbed the .6 mile hike to the top. This is a huge rock that sticks up and the actual expansion of the rock covered by soil is larger in area than Manhattan. As you can see from Barbie's flying hair, the wind was really blowing up there. I felt like it was really possible to get blown off the mountain. But the view from there was amazing. But so much for resting when I wasn't riding. I suspect I will discover some new muscles in the morning.

The Bluebells are out in force. This is the Texas state flower and it is magnificent. Some of the fields just look like waves of blue.

More predictions of storms overnight so who knows what the weather will be tomorrow. I hope it is nice enough to ride.

3 comments:

  1. Jan,

    Those are bluebonnets! Great pictures, keep 'em coming.

    RSRO
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I've been to Enchanted Rock and I've been to Manhattan, and it's hard to believe that ER is bigger.

    Mike Kueber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the part of the rock that is underground which you cannot see. At least that is what the sign says as you start walking up it.

      Delete