Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Eastern Seaboard 11: Getting Prepared to Head North


The time is getting near for the Eastern Seaboard trip which starts on September 22, 2011. My bike has been delivered to Maine and I am packing for the trip. We have two Crossroads Cycling bags and everything has to fit in them. As you can see this one is quite full so I might have to pare down what I plan to take.

Because I live in the low country of South Carolina, I am truly a flat-lander. That of course means that any slight incline can be quite a challenge. So a few weeks ago I went to Brevard, NC, to practice climbing. I am not sure why they have giraffe crossings there, but apparently you have to watch out for the giraffes. I never saw a giraffe, but the hills were quite the challenge.



I leave for Boston on Thursday so I can spend time with my daughter and her family. Those of you from XC10 will remember Jack, my grandson, as he greeted us with a great sign on Revere Beach which read "Way to go Grams." So now he will take me up to Portland and send me off from there. Unfortunately he won't be there when we leave because of school. But he will get to enjoy the pool and the sights the weekend before.

I am really looking forward to seeing the riders from XC10 and from Fredericksburg. These are friends you make for life once you share a cross country adventure. I also looking forward to making new friends on this trip.

Oh yes, I have been training hard; however, I may still be the last one in every day. So for the SAG drivers, remember you get to move on after I come through!

No comments:

Post a Comment