Friday, September 30, 2011

ES11 - Hammerton NJ to Dewey Beach DE and Rest Day

Miles: 65 of 80
Elevation gain: flat

I am writing this on the rest day - a day which was sorely needed (in more ways than one.). We have gone 622 miles in 8 days and 6 of those days involved a lot of climbing. That does take a toll on the mind and body. So everyone was glad for a rest.

The ride to Dewey Beach was a great ride on nice roads that were flat. We had five bridges to cross. They were all narrow with no shoulders. However the traffic was light so it was really no problem.

I made it about 15 miles into the ride when the saddle went nose up again. Because the roads were flat, I was sailing down the road at that time. Needless to say, I was not happy. I sent a text to Tracy the Crossroads leader. When the first van came by they picked me up and took me to the SAG. When Tracy got there in the truck, she went to work on a Rube Goldberg fix. The nose of my saddle is now held down with zip ties and electrical tape. It doesn't look very elegant but worked.

Off I went through the towns along the ocean and over the bridges. At one point the sky opened up and it poured and the wind started blowing. I was seriously considering flagging down the van if it came by. Fortunately it did not come by and the rain stopped about 10 miles down the road. I have never ridden in so much rain in my life. Of course if I was home, I would never go out in rain like that.

This was the day of our first ferry ride from Cape May to Lewes. The ferry only went at 11:00, 1:00, 2:30 and 4:30. I was planning on the 2:30 ferry. Then at 12:00 I realized I was 10 miles from the ferry so the 1:00 became a possibility. The problem was the 4 miles through a town with a streetlight at every block, most of which I hit on red. So coming out of that town I knew I would just make the ferry or just miss it. I really wanted to make it and started the after- burners. My power interval training came in handy and I went for it. I was just rounding the corner for the ferry when I heard the whistle blow. Fortunately it was the warning whistle and I made it on. Other riders were up on the deck cheering me on. I was quite happy.

There was a 10 mile ride to the hotel after the ferry ride. Kind of hard to get back on the bike. It was a very busy road but had a wonderful bike lane. Our hotel is a block from the beach and is very nice. This will be a great place to spend the night. Last night Chris, Stu, and I had dinner at a great little outdoor restaurant on the sand where we could watch the sunset.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment