Friday, September 23, 2011

ES11 - Portsmouth to Worcester MA

Miles: 95
Elevation Gain: 4000 ft

Today was a hard day but satisfying in the end. There are four women who get to leave early in the morning. Today we left 40 minutes ahead of the rest of the riders. This way we get to the SAG stops while other rider are there. We left with an overcast sky but it was not raining. So that was great.

I rode the first 62 miles with Ilze. She and I ride about the same. I am a little faster on the descents and flat roads. But she climbs better than I do. We enjoy riding together.

The terrain today was up and down. Much like the Fletcher Flyer in Asheville NC. There really were no flat sections. Going 95 miles on this terrain was a challenge. But I was determined to ride the whole way, even when my legs started serious protests.

Fortunately Chip and Chris rode with me the last 30 miles. Well it might be more accurate to say they waited for me a lot. I am so thankful for that. It started raining about 15 miles from the down. The rain came down hard and the traffic was heavy. Coming into town was a nightmare. We had to walk our bikes on the sidewalk today at one point. But we were moving faster than the cars at one point.

The countryside is really pretty here. It is just hard to enjoy it in the rain.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment