Monday, September 19, 2011

ES11 - Portland ME Start - 3 Days Away

The days are counting down and I am getting more excited every day. I was in
the Boston area Friday and Saturday. On Friday I went for a long walk along
Revere Beach. Driving the streets to the beach and then walking along the beach
brought back lots of memories. I remember Geoff and Chip leading us to the
beach. Of course we were not on the route laid out by Crossroads. But we were
all together and didn't want the ride to end. So who cared if we had to get
directions from the police.



Saturday afternoon my daughter and her family brought me up here and we had a
one night mini-vacation together. It looks like it will be a pretty ride down
the coast. Today we looked around Portland. I had my obligatory Maine
lobster. It was good, but one will be enough. Portland is the largest town in
Maine but is still quite small. Oil pipelines come down from Montreal so there
are a lot of holding tanks along the water. We went up in an old signal tower.
This is where the picture was taken. It isn't a very good picture, but does show
a view in the direction where we will be riding.



As we were eating a large tour group of senior citizens came in. This made me
once again realize how unusual our geriatric group of riders really is. Made me
more determined to keep at this until the end (mine that is).

Tomorrow Chris Hall and Doug Squires arrive. Probably others as well. So
Tuesday we will be exploring the area as we check out our trusty bikes. I am
looking forward to seeing them and the rest of the riders.

Right now the weather here is beautiful. The trees are just starting to get
some color. The weatherman predicts rain for the start of our trip. So we
might get a little bit wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment