Sunday, May 19, 2013

Cottonwood to Flagstaff - Amazing Scenery with Lots of Climbing

Today was a 47 mile ride with 7000 ft of climbing.  Yes indeedy, I was tired when I got in.  However, I did the entire ride and feel super about the accomplishment.

The morning started out in a pace line with Rik, Tracy, and Jim once again.  They slowed way down to help me climb a ways out of town.  Then there was a screaming (literally and figuratively) run down some hills.  It is frightening how much faster a pace line can go downhill than individual riders.  But it was fun.  I would only descend in a pace line with very experienced riders like these guys.  That was the 10 easy miles of the ride.

Then there was a relatively easy climb into Sedona.  The red rocks of Arizona are an amazing view.  This is a big tourist town and have a wonderful coffee shop where we stopped for an iced coffee and an apple turnover.  What a treat.  Once we left Sedona it was a narrow road with no shoulder all the way to Flagstaff.  So you had to be calm in traffic to really enjoy the day.  Most of the drivers were very good and patient with the slow cyclists climbing slowly up the hill.  The countryside was amazing, so even though the riding was hard, it was well worth it to be out there on the road.  I rode by myself the rest of the day, but encountered other riders along the way.  The 2.5 mile climb out of the canyon was a challenge after climbing for miles to just get to that point.  My Garmin showed 10% grade at times.  I admit to stopping a couple of times on the way up just to catch my breath.  Jim O. and Rik went up in 17 min.  It took me 45.  Oh well, I made it!  And that is an accomplishment.

Today is a well-earned rest day.  I know I will enjoy it a lot.  What do we do on rest days?  Well: laundry, clean our bike, replenish supplies of sunscreen and drugs, have a leisurely breakfast, and sleep.

I am very excited about one thing.  I am consistently 1 mph average faster each day than in 2010.  Not bad for an old lady who is now 3 years older.  I have to thank my Carmichael Training Systems coach, Tracey Drews, for that.  I sometimes questioned the schedule but it has worked. 

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jan
    Wish I was there ... lot of great memory’s coming back reading your blog.
    Please send my regard’s to Tom , Ricks and Jim.
    Take Care , have fun and remember to increase your RPM
    Michel
    Montreal , QC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michel, so good to hear from you. Tracy, Carol, Robin, Rik and Jim and I were all talking about you last night. Your ears must have been burning. They were talking about what a nice guy you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoyed your day off. You deserved it!! Love to read your blog. Brings back many good memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great, and well-deserved, rest day in Flagstaff. I remember that Michel, Doug Squires, and I had fun just walking around there during our rest day then. Your blog is bringing back great memories. Have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete