Friday, May 17, 2013

Prescott to Cottonwood - A Fabulous Day

Today was an amazing biking day.  True to my promise, I set no goal except to enjoy the day.  As my daughter reminded me tonight, in 2010 I achieved the goal of riding across America.  This time it is all about fun.

The leader of Crossroads, Tracy, rode her bike today for the first 14 miles.  So the staff who were riding left town with her.  There was a little bit of climbing out of town and then there was a wonderful descent.  The light started to sparkle in the eyes of Tracy, Rik, and Jim.  I knew they were going for it down the hill and that was the end of my riding with them for the day.  Those three love to descend and I am quite cautious.  So off they went.

At the 14 mile point I waited for Janel and Jeanne and rode with them the rest of the day.  Janel has the greatest attitude and really enjoys life.  So she taught me to reframe the false flats today, in my mind.  And it truly did make it easier to go up them.  We spun up Mingus Mountain (3 miles) and it didn't seem hard at all.  My legs were not screaming at me and I quite enjoyed the climb.  Then came the terrify descent down the other side.  Quite steep and lots of curves.  Some of them were very hairpin turns.  Continually pumping the brakes and pulling off to let the rim cool down, I made it down safely.  Halfway down the mountain we stopped in the little town of Jerome and had a hamburger at the Haunted Hamburger.  The views were fantastic, that is when I could take my eyes off the road long enough to look at them.


Now I am really frustrated.  I thought I had this picture rotated but it still is coming in wrong.  So once again lay on your side to look at Janel and I at a food stop.


Mike looking out at the view and the road he has to ride down.  A bit intimidating but very beautiful.

Tomorrow will be another climbing day with amazing scenery.  We will end up in Flagstaff where we will have a much needed day of rest.

2 comments: