Monday, May 27, 2013

Las Vegas to Tucumcari

Today was a 108 mile ride through some beautiful and yet very desolate countryside. I managed to ride 71 of the miles. Today was not my strongest day of riding for sure. I think the body is still getting used to the demands put on it day after day.

Today marked the 1000 mile mark. It is hard to believe we have gone that far. 

One of the best sights of the day was a sign showing a downhill 9% grade.  That sign really looked good after spending many hours of climbing.  Once we started down the Canadian escarpment the countryside opened up in front of us.  And the view as we went down was amazing.  Of course I couldn't just look at the countryside because I was making sure I didn't get too much speed as I was descending.

Around mid-day the wind started blowing.  At first it was a tailwind which resulted in some high speeds going down the rolling hills.  However later it became a crosswind.  Then unfortunately about twenty miles from town, the speed of the wind increased and it became a headwind.  That was not fun and resulted in my taking a bump into town the last 10 miles. 

Tomorrow we descend into the Texas panhandle.  For those readers who have done this trip you know that means the XIT feedlots.  I sure hope the wind is blowing in the right direction - whatever that is.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a hard ride! For me, the hardest of the trip. Glad you know when you are "not having fun" and take the bump! Again, I admire you and wish you well!

    ReplyDelete