Monday, May 20, 2013

Flagstaff to Holbrook Az - Flying Down the Road

After spending a very pleasant rest day in Flagstaff, we took off early this morning all bundled up for the cold.  It was about 40 degrees but warmed up rather quickly.  I rode today with Janel, Karen, and Jeanne.  We were given permission to leave 10 minutes ahead of everyone else (with the rest of the riders staggered according to speed) because we are somewhat slower.  That helps to keep the riders together and makes it easier for the SAG support.

What a day.  The 92 miles pretty much flew by.  First there was more downhill than uphill.  Even more important the wind was basically a tailwind.  So I was up to speeds of 21 mph.  Unheard of for me.  We were on I40 all day.  Fortunately there was a wide breakdown lane for us to ride on.  For the most part it was pretty smooth.  However, interstate riding means lots of flat tires.  I had one.  Our young rider from Northern Ireland had 5 of them.  Those nasty little wires from the radial tires seem to have no trouble imbedding themselves in a tire, and thus puncturing the tube.  It is important to check the tire for wires every time you stop.

Today was my birthday and yesterday was Marianne's.  So the staff had fun decorating our helmets and bikes.  It was a wonderful way to celebrate my birthday.





1 comment: