Monday, May 6, 2013

Off Again - XC13 - Biking Across America

Yes, I am going to do the Crossroads trip across the US once again. I am excited about the prospect and ready to go. I have been asked several times "Why?" I think the real answer is: "because I can." Since completing the first trip, I contemplated doing it again several times. But while in Belgium last fall, with some urging from Norm, I decided that I really did want to go again. And time was a'wasting as they say. I had been training and I was healthy, so what could stop me. I am not getting any younger and at my age the feeling of being vulnerable starts to set in. 

As I contemplate the trip, I realize it will be a different trip than the last one, even though the route is the same. I now know I can complete the ride and I believe my conditioning is as good as before, if not better. I think the mental aspect was really the hardest in 2010. Maybe I will have conquered some of that. If I am still the slowest rider (which I may be), I will just enjoy the solitude and the scenery. I know I have learned a lot about climbing, so the mountains do not seem as formidable. However, I know there will be challenges and this will take all of the determination I can muster to ride every day and every mile. 80 miles a day average, thousands of feet of climbing, hair-raising descents off of Mingus Mountain, desert heat, Kansas wind, 45 days of riding; the challenges go on and on. All of this is off-set by: amazing scenery, great support staff, new friends, old friends, the joy of just riding every day with no other responsibilities, the ability to eat 5000 calories a day and not gain a pound, and the great feeling of accomplishment.

The bike has been shipped so I am anxious to go. I will fly to LA on Thursday, the orientation is Saturday, and we start pedaling on Sunday. For those of you from XC10 and ES11 I will reconnect with Tracy, Rik, Jim Olsson, Tom Dunn, Robin, Carol, Hank, Mike Taylor, Darrell Thomas, Bob Fuller, and Tom Gray at various points along the way.

4 comments:

  1. Well said Jan and kudoes to Norm for his support of your adventure. I suspect you will have a terrific ride - needless to say I'm very much looking forward to meeting up with you'll in Ohio and will be following your blog in the meantime. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that I was going with you!

    Vai con Dios!

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. A "once in a lifetime opportunity" that you get to experience again!!! I'm proud of you! Go get 'em.

    Coach

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my eye on you and a link to your blog from my blog roll. I will be following you with each pedal stroke.

    ReplyDelete