Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Gallup to Grant NM

Today was a 68 mile ride with 10 miles on I40 and the rest on Route 66.  Of the 10 miles on I40 there was a 6 mile section that can only be described as horrible.  The breakdown lane was horrible with gravel, potholes, etc.  So you could risk crashing in the potholes, or hug the white line and risk getting hit by a truck speeding by.  Neither one of these options was a pretty site.

Today we crossed the Continental Divide.  Jeanne and I have been riding together (we are 6 months apart in age) so this is the two of us standing there.

The ride down from the Continental Divide was marvelous.  It was about a 1% downhill grade for 20 miles or so.  Added to that was a wonderful tailwind.  So I basically wore myself out for the final ride into town by trying to go as fast as I could.  I think I was going about 25 mph for awhile.  However, Chris on his recumbent was going about 35 mph.  Anyway it was fun

Today was my first stop at a Dairy Queen which was located about 5 miles from the hotel.  Wow, was that delicious.  Fortunately the last five miles after that were easy as it pretty much all downhill. 

Two of the riders are riding their last day tomorrow, Karen and Janel.  I will miss them, as I rode with them quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment