Friday, June 28, 2013

The End has Come

Good news and bad news. I safely made it to Revere Beach. The bad news is the ride is over. The bikes are packed up, the vans stripped of all Crossroads extras and the Ryder van is packed for the trip back to Denver.

So backing up to yesterday. There were two state crossings - Vermont and Mass. And boy were there a lot of hills getting there. Some of them were quite steep as well and quite a challenge to climb. 90 miles with 5000 feet of climbing. I was about 15 miles from the destination when it started raining. I was hurrying along when I saw a rider coming up the other way. I didn't pay any attention as I was focused on traffic and potholes. Then someone rode up behind me and asked "can I ride with you for awhile?" I turned and it was Chip Wry from 2010. What a wonderful surprise. He had come to the hotel after work and hopped on his bike to come out Nd ride in with me. I was so happy to have him lead me in with the traffic and rain. Then when we got to the hotel there was Geoff. Great to spend time with both of them. And Ilze from ES11 was there also to meet Mike. Lots of other family members were there to greet the riders.

Today was the ride to the beach in the rain. Even though the weather was gloomy the mood at the beach was very festive. Jack, Jen, Doug, and Linda were all there. Jack helped me dip my front wheel in the water. Tonight is the banquet and then XC13 will officially be over.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jan
    Thank you for this opportunity to follow " Crossroads 2013 " from the point of view of a cyclist who has already made the trip. Congratutations on this achievement , the result of a strong determination . All those who have achieved this feat are able to appreciate the effort.
    Michel
    Montreal , Quebec

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS! Great accomplishment. Thanks for your blog also, as it has enabled my vicarious enjoyment of this trip of yours now, as well as reminded me of great memories of our trip together three years ago.

    ReplyDelete