Wednesday, May 7, 2014

On The Road Again

Yes, it's true. I leave for Los Angeles in the morning to start the cross country ride once again. Tracy, owner of Crossroads, called me last winter to ask if I wanted to be on her staff for XC14. Wow. I was very honored that she asked me. She has such a great staff and they really enjoy helping riders achieve their dream of riding across America. So of course I said Yes.

I will be a staff member on the bike from LA to Abilene. So basically I can ride as many miles as I choose (or the body will tolerate). However, my goal during that time is to assist the riders as needed. The goal is not to complete the miles. And I will also help with staff work at the end of the day. When we get to Abilene, Carol will head home. So after that I will take her spot driving one of the SAG vehicles and preparing food for the SAG. You notice I did not say I will replace Carol. No one can replace her. I imagine I will have the opportunity to do some riding also.

So I tried to train as though I were riding the entire way. In addition to the normal riding, I spent 6 days riding in the hills of Florida. Yes Florida does have hills. At least Claremont Fl has hills. It is a great training spot in February when South Carolina is being hit with an ice storm. I also did the Assault on the Carolina's in April. This is the metric century with the 7 mile climb up Caesars Head. Anyway I am partially ready for this trip. But has always the first week will be hard.

Norm is flying out to Prescott and traveling with the tour to Flagstaff. Then he and I will take a few days and actually be tourists in Arizona and New Mexico. I will rejoin the staff in Albuquerque. I am looking forward to his visit.

Seizing opportunities in life as they come along is important. As I progress into the depths of my senior years, I see these opportunities as wonderful chances to enrich my life. I look forward to writing about the country as we travel through it.

2 comments: