Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cottonwood to Flagstaff

Miles: 47.7
Elevation gain: 6600 ft

What a day. I am still amazed that I completed the entire ride today. First of all the biking weather gods were with us again today. It was clear skies but never above 90. The was the most beautiful part of the trip so far.

The reason I was actually able to complete the ride was because Chip who helped me on the 116 mile ride day stayed back with me the whole day. I could never have done today by myself. I think the group has decided I really want to ride all of this and are helping out. I certainly appreciate it.

We basically climbed all day today. So even though the mileage was low the ride was tough. The picture of the road circling around was looking down from halfway up a 2.2 mile climb. I rode the whole way but did need to stop 3 times. I am finding the altitude to be a factor. I am so amazed with the country around here. I would like to come back and visit for a more extended period of time.

Tomorrow is a day off and we really need it. In the last 7 days we have ridden 521 miles and climbed 32,600 ft. All of us are feeling the effects. A day off the bike seems wonderful. I actually have bruises on my butt. The leaders say if we made it this week we will make it the whole way across. I cannot believe this body has accomplished what it has so far.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! Tracy's right - the hardest part is behind you. Enjoy your rest day, you've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hill looks exciting. I love a good climb. I am sick like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep going Jan - You crazy women!!

    Steve & Ann.

    ReplyDelete