Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Packed and Ready To Go

Do you know how hard it is to get two month's worth of clothes and supplies into two small duffel bags! Crossroads sent us two bags and everything we put on the truck each day must be in these two bags Together they have to weigh less than 30 pounds. So this includes everything but those items that are on the bike with us (which of course we want to minimize). My first attempt resulted in leaving some clothes behind. I am also sending energy gels and energy drink powder to a couple of the hotels along the way. I am sure we will all get a little tired of seeing each other in the same clothes for two months. But we are all in the same boat, or same truck, so to speak.

Tomorrow I fly to Los Angeles and will have dinner with friends from my CSC days. I am looking forward to that. On Saturday we have our first official meeting of all of the riders. Then Sunday morning, bright and early, we get on the bikes and ride to the Pacific Ocean so we can ceremoniously dip our back wheel in the water. I guess we get little containers of sand and sprinkle some on each state line crossing...to appease the bike fairies. I am sure many more rituals will develop as the ride continues.

I am very glad to be done with the preparations and look forward to actually starting the ride. The first week will be rough...two centuries, a desert crossing and a couple of mountain passes. I am sure the scenery will be fantastic and the challenges will be plenty.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

  1. Man are you tough!!!! Have a great journey!! We are looking forward to following you on your challenge!

    Line

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. Have fun and take plenty of pictures for us.

    John

    ReplyDelete