Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day 1 - Pacific Ocean to Riverside CA

Miles: 78.1
Elevation gain: 3600 ft

Day 1 is complete and I feel great. We left the hotel this morning as a group and slowly rode to the Pacific Ocean for the ceremonial wheel dip and photo op. As soon as we left the beach we had a steep climb for two blocks. Since we knew it was steep, I was in granny gear and just spun up it. After that we rde through the city on mostly flat roads with lots and lots of stop lights. At about 40 miles we started to get out of the city a bit with some hilly areas and more interesting scenery. There is on tandem in the group and LaVern and Janie are excellent tandem riders. They were OK with me drafting behind them which was a huge help for me. It was a bit embarassing when they could climb faster than me. Like I said they are good. The last 10 miles was an amazing street with flowers, palm trees, orchards, etc. We slowed down to just enjoy it.
We were so lucky with the weather. There was a cloud cover all day, very little wind, and it never got much above 80.
Tomorrow we head to Indio CA and the desert. This will be an 80 mile day. I am having a great time.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

  1. Jan,

    Glad the first day went OK. Sounds like your training was on target. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I took the picture of you holding your wheel. The XC09 group will be following your adventure as you retrace the route we took last year. Smooth roads and tailwinds!

    ReplyDelete