Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 3 - Indio to Blythe CA

Miles: 100.3
Elevation Gain: 3100 ft

The biking gods were with us for the third day in a row. And this was definitely the day to have them. It was 10 degrees cooler than normal in the desert with a tailwind.

We left Indio, got on the interstate (only way to get there) and immediately began to climb. We had been told that at mile 18 we started an 11 mile climb. Oops forgot to say that coming out of town I had a slight fall while stopping at a light. Just minor scrapes on the knee and elbow. But it did shake me up just a bit. So with sore legs, falling, climbing, and getting hot my mind started questioning whether I could really make it today. Then I remembered one of the younger guys told me at breakfast that I was his inspiration. I decided I couldn't let him down. That is what got me through the climb. It turns out there was not another 11 mile climb. After making it up that there were times the wind was pushing me up a small incline at 20 mph. That was nice. The guy who told me I was his inspiration let me draft behind him for the last 70 miles. What a life-saver he was. That is our picture at the rest stop.

The temperature was 79 at the center of the desert and registered 93 on my bike. We were saved!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

  1. Just to let you know that the troop from XC09 will also be following you and cheering you on -consider yourself an inspiration for more than just the young guy at breakfast. Here's hoping that the tailwinds and "cool" weather continue for all of you and keep those blogs coming.....

    ReplyDelete