Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Holbrook, AZ to Gallup, NM

Miles: 88
Elevation gain: 3300 ft

Great day with cool temps and a wonderful tail wind. The picture of my bike on the side of the road shows the flag on the back bent completely over the bike from the force of the wind. That is a beautiful site.

The country was pretty desolate the first half of the ride. When I saw a Hampton Inn sign which said it was 65 miles away, I knew we were in the middle of nowhere. The picture of the SAG van shows there wasn't much around at 34 miles.

About 15 miles from the NM border the country started to change and the mesa's and rocks were amazing. The picture doesn't come close to doing it justice. It was worth all of the work to see this sight from on top of the bike. We are now in our third state. Hard to believe we have actually ridden this far.

Oh yes, I did ride all the way today. I did a better job on the mental challenge and on hydrating. Thanks to the riders from past years who provided helpful comments. That was a big help to me.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

4 comments:

  1. Excellent! New Mexico is beautiful. This will be a short week, so take your time and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too...New Mexico was my favorite state and it gets better as you go...I really came to appreciate my camelback, you really cannot drink too much liquid. Hang in there and enjoy. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that you will appreciate the first two weeks as you will be in great shape for the remainder of the trip. My favorate part of the ride was every day and every mile biked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are AMAZING, Jan! Keep on biking, girl!
    Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow!!!! Hope the tailwind is good to you all day.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete