Saturday, May 24, 2014

Albuquerque to Santa Fe

First the weather because it is so different from 2010 or 2013. Those years were so hot that you wanted to melt. This year most everyone had a light jacket on as we left the hotel. There was a 30% chance of rain prediction. And it was cool enough to need a light jacket. Coming out of town was a headwind. And of course climbing. There were scattered clouds which kept the temperature down. At the SAG stop Carol had the food covered with an umbrella and before she closed it down she needed it. I got sprinkled on a bit in Madrid but could see where the rain had come before me. Going into Santa Fe you could see a huge cloud building. Carol and I were just ready to go shopping when a downpour hit. We decided to wait until the next day. Fortunately all the riders were in by that time but a couple of them just barely made it. As we were going to staff dinner another downpour hit with hail. Rik let us off at the front door and we were drenched after running in. This morning is still cloud covered so it might not be such a nice rest day for sight seeing.

I rode 44 miles to Madrid. That is a beautiful ride. It takes a bit to get out of town. But Tracy had a new route which was much superior to the old route. I was leading about 6 riders. I guess they thought I knew where I was going. But I missed the left hand turn at a very busy intersection. I knew I missed it right away. So we really were not lost. After that everyone took off ahead of me. Of course we were out of town by then. Coming out of town was false flats so we climbed for a long time this morning.

I guess Tracy thought the group needed cheered up this morning. She and the staff were out in their silly hats cheering the riders up a long climb.

The ride was fantastic scenery. I stopped to take a picture and the little lizard was sitting there watching me. I did not stop to take the picture of the rattlesnake sunning itself along the road. The nice long decline into Madrid was a bit nerve racking. The road was bumpy and there was a crosswind. I felt like I was riding a bunking bronco.

On one climb I was rescued by Alan and Ross. I made a mistake shifting and dropped my chain off the little ring in front. It jammed in between the front gears and the frame. They were finally able to get it loose but it was a struggle. I will have Rik look at it today to make sure it didn't damage the carbon frame. My thanks to Alan and Ross for their help.

At Madrid, as planned, I stopped riding and drove the van into town. This way Carol and Robin could stay and shop as long as they want. Shopping is not my thing so I was happy to sacrifice.

Rest day is not really resting for the staff. First thing is truck driving check out from Tracy. I have driven lots of big trucks before but I want to know the specifics of this one. Then a laundry party. Boy do I need that. Then grocery shopping with Carol and assisting her in making one of her delicious treats for the next two days. She is amazing.

Tracy, Larry, and Robin go home for 10 days. Tracy and Robin will return in Abilene. So my job will be truck driving and luggage delivery with Tom. We will work it out so we each get to ride part of the day. So I will learn another part of the job. And I love driving truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment