Sunday, May 18, 2014

Climb to Flagstaff and a Day of Rest

Wow it is hard to believe but a week of the tour is over. The first week is a hard one for riders and staff. The heart of the desert and the headwinds took a toll on the bodies. Then out of the desert and three days of false flats and hard climbs. Now the knees and the bottoms start calling out in pain. The routine of early starts every day and laundry every night puts another new perspective on life. You Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat. And that is about all there is. Maybe a dip in the pool can be thrown in there. Or, like in Prescott and Flagstaff, a visit to a local brew pub. Now a very welcome day off.

Yesterday was a very interesting day mentally for me. I rode the full ride from Cottonwood to Flagstaff in 2010 and in 2013. I knew I could do it and I also knew how hard it was. So I decided to just ride to Sedona and then work the SAG support. And with Norm here that plan let me spend more time with him. On the ride to Sedona you climb and descend for 13 miles. There was nothing spectacular about that section. That is except for getting passed by about 300 MS150 riders. I was hearing a lot of "on your left" or just plain being passed. At mile 13.4 there is a .9 mile climb. And when you break over the top of that climb you get a view of the red rocks of Arizona and the mountains around Sedona. It is spectacular. I know other years I thought it was pretty but this year I just enjoyed the ride into town and absorbed the scenery. I did not have to worry about the traffic in Oak Canyon, the 2.2 mile climb up the switchbacks or the long slog into Flagstaff from the SAG.

There is a Native American art center at the viewpoint where we set up the SAG. They had some beautiful jewelry and pots. Being the skinflint I am, I usually don't buy anything and regret it later. But Norm really likes to buy local art so we bought an amazing vase that was hand etched.

Last night was Tracy's staff dinner. This is a chance for the staff to relax and enjoy each other. It is always fun.

Now for a rest day. Then Norm and I will go off sightseeing for a few days.

1 comment:

  1. Send Rick a BIG Texas hug for me! Glad you posted the picture of you 2. You GO GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete