Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Las Vegas to Tucumcari

Typically this is one of the hardest rides of the tour. It is 107 miles and is usually very hot. This is one of the prettiest rides though.

As the days have been going all tour, there was nothing typical about this year. The riders started in 42 degrees weather. On my bike it never got above 71. There was a cloud cover most of the way. Storms were in the distance all around. But the riders skirted them all. Eilene got poured on breaking down a SAG. But all the riders were gone. And the last riders came in to the hotel just before a downpour hit. Those of you who have done this ride would never believe this was the ride to Tucumcari.

I drove the truck to the first SAG. As I was prepping the truck, some guy came by and said "nice office." Which it is. When I got to the SAG, I got my bike ready, loaded up on gels and took off. After having some Garmin issues and dropping the chain off the big ring in front everything smoothed out. I had a magical ride for 41 miles. The country was beautiful. It has been raining here so the rivers had water in them. I cannot remember when I last enjoyed a ride this much. I even got to do The Wall. This is 8-10% grade for .7 mile. Beautiful rock structures coming up that road. I was at the top before the riders, so I stayed there. Whenever a rider came up, I took their picture, rang the cowbell, and gave them Chocolate milk. They seemed to appreciate that.

Then the rest of the day was supporting riders on the road, shopping for the next day, and cleaning and stocking the vans.

I did not see this rattlesnake on the road but some of the riders did and heard his rattle.

1 comment: