Sunday, May 25, 2014

Santa Fe to Las Vegas NM

Day of rest. Oh how wonderful. Well for the staff it was not a total rest day but was restful anyway. First task in the morning was for me to get checked out on driving the truck. That will be part of my duties the next 10 days. This truck is very easy to drive and my old farm girl days came back quickly. Then off to the laundromat with Rik and Tom. I desperately needed that trip. I think just about everything I brought was dirty. Then I went food shopping with Carol. That is quite a learning experience. She makes delicious and nutritious snacks for the riders. A lot of thought and work goes into what she puts out at the SAG. Unfortunately she goes home at Abilene and I have to take over that role. Poor riders. I am trying to learn but it does not come naturally. After all the work was done, Carol and I went to the Santa Fe plaza area and had a nice lunch and did some shopping. We got caught in a downpour trying to get back to the van.

Today was a beautiful day going from Santa Fe to Las Vegas. Other years I have ridden have been extremely hot. But today didn't get above 65. Add to that a bit of a tailwind and it was perfect riding conditions. I think every rider came in with a smile on their face.

My routine has changed. For the next 10 days I will be helping Tom with truck driving and luggage. Tom and I will each ride part of the day (20 - 30 miles). Then we go in together in the truck and deliver bags to the rooms. The riders get to come into a room with the bags on the bed and the air conditioner running. Although today we did not turn the air conditioner down very low.

Tomorrow will be the 1000 mile mark. Hard to believe. That black line is crawling across the map pretty fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment