Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Desert and Wind Going to Blythe

Interstate and wind and wind and interstate and sand. Oh yes did I mention the wind was blowing! Headwinds again for three days. I do believe this is my least favorite day of the tour. It is just something to get through. The first SAG of the day is at a lovely oasis in the desert. That is one picture. And the second is probably the ugliest SAG spot of the trip.

As always Tracy had everything well prepared. The vans and truck were loaded with extra ice, water, and Gatorade. I don't think I have ever put down as much fluid as I did today. And she had delicious PB&J sandwiches (Carol and I made them), pickles, applesauce, cold rags etc all waiting at the stops. Today was the day riders started realizing riding every inch is an amazing feat and several took bumps or quit for the day. Those who were no longer riding pitched in to fill water bottles, pour ice on the heads, and help pit wherever possible.

I realized last night that I don't have a huge desire to put in long miles every day. I did 50 today and that was enough. Going to Wickenburg I am not even going to ride. I will do some training on driving the van and rest up for the ride through the false flats to Prescott.

3 comments:

  1. Have fun and enjoy your ride, you've been there done that, multiple times, and have nothing to provide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's with this wind? I hope you are building up karma and will have the breeze at your backs for the rest of the trip. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Jan, I'm sure the cyclists are loving having you as a part time cyclist and part time SAG angel! Keep up the blog, it's bringing back great memories.

    Ricky

    ReplyDelete