Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Riverside to Indio

Sorry no pictures today. The ride out of Riverside was actually quite pretty. The hillside was prettying big rocks that looked like smooth stones piled on top of each other. Unfortunately we were hit by a three mile climb coming right out of town. You all know I don't do well on climbs. It was a 6-7% grade and very steady. Then at the top of the hill the headwinds hit. So by the time I arrived at the SAG I was the last rider. So I stood true to my plan for myself and quit riding for the day. I won't keep the support system out there for just me. If I was a paying rider, I would and have done that other years. Oh too bad, I missed the 7 mile climb up Ladd Canyon in the terrific crosswinds.

This was a good day to practice SAG support. So I jumped in the van and helped her set up the SAG. She had made some terrific potato salad the night before. The riders were very glad to get there and get water and some food. The temperature was not extreme bit like last year it was head winds coming into Palm Springs. The wind mills were not turning and that is not a good sign. All the remaining riders completed the day but they were beat.

Now it is two long, long days in the desert. Tracy has her game face on and gave a great talk about desert safety. I will take a bump to the first SAG with two other riders. We will still have about 70 miles to go. If those headwinds are still blowing, it will be a long 70 miles.

Talk to you next from the middle of the Mohave in Blythe.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment