Thursday, May 8, 2014

Getting to LA

So for the East Coast riders, just getting to LA seems like an extremely long trek. I left home at 4 am and experienced the Charlotte airport for the first time. Fortunately I did not have a tight connection because I got a days worth of exercise just walking between terminals. Brings back my days of traveling for work. It will all be worth it once I get to LA.

I think I failed at the duffel bag packing exercise yesterday. I have two bags stuffed very full. And I put a lot of things in the bike box when I sent it. Now I am telling myself that the reason I have so much is because I need to have riding clothes and shoes and staff clothes and shoes. And Tracy does not want staff using the laundry facilities at the hotels. That is because they are in great demand by the riders. Especially when the Laundry Queen is one of the riders. So that means we will go to a laundromat once a week. Now you see why I have so much, right. Fortunately I will have a bin in the truck to store some items.

The trusty old Trek arrived safely in it's cheese box. That is such a convenient shipping method for those of us who have to bike assembly capabilities.

The caravan of vans and the Ryder truck arrived this afternoon. Today is for resting and the staff work starts tomorrow. The truck and vans have to be washed, coolers all filled with ice, SAG food purchased, and whatever else needs done. Because of all the organization and preparation, things go very smoothly here. The riders are arriving and I am sure are getting anxious to start. The map is up in the lobby so it is starting to become real for them. And of course for me also. Today it was so fun to see Tracy, Larry, Tom, Robin, Carol, Rick and Eilene.

1 comment:

  1. Jan, you are the lady of organization for sure! Always thinking ahead, but don't forget to get some sleep. Hope you're first day of cycling was fun.

    Sort of identify with that "Laundry Queen" comment, tell the staff I didn't know, sorry:).

    Be safe and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete