Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tucumcari to Dalhart TX

We are now in Texas. Even though this is a very large state, we only see one little corner and will be in Oklahoma tomorrow. The day started out with a bit of tailwind and a bit warmer than yesterday. Luckily I was riding the 30 miles to the first SAG because it turned into a headwind later in the day.

The ride to the SAG was quite uneventful. The major thing I saw was trains. There are a lot of them out here and they will usually blow their whistle if you wave at them.

After the SAG I drove the truck to the Texas state line. This is the best state sign on the tour. It is made of concrete and has holes in it that are rumored to be bullet holes. Of course everyone stopped and posed for a photo.

After the state line I helped Carol and Eilene in the vans. You never know what you might have to do. The second SAG was at a rest stop where there was construction. The rest area was closed but Carol and Eilene managed to get the vans in through the cones. They were back off the road and difficult to see. So I went back to the road and sat on the concrete barrier directing riders into the SAG. Today was the day we went past the feedlots and I could smell them 30 miles away as I sat there.

2 comments:

  1. Cool photo at the concrete Texas border sign, Jan! Thanks for all your support on the trip! We all appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, thanks for keeping me a part of the tour even though I am not there!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete