Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Abilene KS to Topeka KS - Halfway Point

Miles: 63 out of 106
Elevation gain: 6800 for 106 miles

Riding halfway across America has a detrimental effect on your brain, especially the reasoning part. I am proof of that. If you have been following my blog, you know I really struggled through the last two days of riding before rest day. I really hoped the rest day would do miracles. I started out a bit better and was drafting behind the tandem. Two miles out we hit some rough road and all of a sudden I lost the tandem and was down to 9 mph. I looked down to see if I had a flat. Nope. There was a headwind so I thought that was causing my problems. After 5 miles one of the Crossroads staff dropped back to let me draft. I couldn't feel any benefit of being behind him. I was going up the little hills about 4 mph and down the other side at 9 mph. I was about to cry. My legs just couldn't do any better. At 13 miles I flagged down the van. The staff member driving the van took my bike to load it up. He immediately said: "Jan, have you been riding this way all morning?". The back wheel was on crooked and one brake pad was tight against the rim. So effectively I was riding with my foot on the brakes! Now I think that was part of my problem for the last several days. Once the wheel was on correctly I was riding great. It felt so good! Yup, it was pretty stupid not to check the bike and assume it was my legs, contrary to all indications. But boy am I glad I found the problem.

There was a headwind all day today but no rain and it was cooler today. The countryside was a luscious green and so beautiful. Rolling hills all day. We crossed the halfway point today, which is why I am lying on the ground. The picture of Jyl and I is in front of a sculpture made of junk bicycle parts.

Yesterday in Abilene I went to the Eisenhower museum. It was really fascinating. We had dinner at a homestyle chicken dinner restraunt. It was just like a Sunday dinner in my childhood.

Tomorrow we cross into Missouri.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

  1. That was one of my favorite rides last year. The flint hill and the lushness of the scenary were great. I have the same picture in front of that bike from last year. Some of my group wanted me to leave my bike at that house along with the other ones.

    ReplyDelete