Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Niles OH to Erie PA

Miles: 89
Elevation Gain: 2500 ft

Today was a great ride. For a change it was not raining when we left the hotel. The sky did cloud over pretty soon but no rain fell. By the end of the ride the sun was out. The best part was a substantial tail wind most of the day. And oh yes, there were only a few hills to climb with lots of slight downhill runs.

The second SAG stop was really fun today. As you can see from the picture it as at an outdoor root beer stand. They served the best root beer floats. I talked with the owner and the place has been in their family for 58 years.

There were lots of old barns during the route. The silo picture is of a brick silo. I had never seen a brick one before.

We crossed another state line today - Pennsylvania. The roads improved and they even had shoulders. I also saw the first of the vineyards today. I am sure there will be a lot more in New York.

Today was garbage day in Erie. Because of the high winds they were blowing all over after being emptied. One rolled out into the road in front of me. Fortunately neither I nor the cars hit it. Just shows how alert you always need to be.

Tomorrow is a rest day and we are all ready for it. Hard to believe this is our last rest day.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment