Friday, June 11, 2010

Crawfordsville IN to Indianapolis IN

Miles: 70.4

Today started out very slowly. This was a day that I really didn't want to get on my bike and ride. However, the interesting part of doing this ride is that you have no choice but to go - either on the bike or in the van. I didn't sleep well last night. Add to that the fact that we left an hour early because of the threat of storms this afternoon. So I got on my bike and started pedaling.

The cue sheet for today was long and complex. We went through the countryside and subdivisions in order to void heavily traveled roads. It turned out to be a wonderful ride. Making so many turns actually made the ride go faster. You never knew what was around the next corner. There were still a lot of corn fields but we started riding on roads that were shaded by trees along the side. Our SAG stop was at a dairy farm. The couple open up their house for us to use the restroom. And they thoroughly seem to enjoy talking to the riders.

The highlight of the day was a side trip to the Major Taylor veledrome. Major Taylor was a black rider/racer from Indiana. He was not well accepted in Indiana (or in the rest of the US). They let is ride on the veledrome. That was a cool experience. You never change gears, use brakes, or look down once you are on it. But I felt quite secure. I didn't look down to see how fast I was going. I doubt it was that fast.

We didn't get caught in any storms today. Hopefully our luck holds out tomorrow.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

  1. If you ask me, it looks like you are riding REALLY fast!

    ReplyDelete